Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Thai Wi-Rat, Fortitude Valley

Thai Wi Rat is my favourite place for Thai and Lao food. I have a Lao background so trust me when I say the Thai-Lao food here is pretty good! The cooks here hail from North East Thailand and are Isaan Thai.  The Isaan people of Thailand are mainly Lao descendants so the Thai food here definitely has some of those Lao flavours coming through. You can get dishes that are sweet, sour, spicy and salty but at the same time, very refreshing, with all the herbs that are commonly used in Lao cooking.

I went here tonight with my friend Steph and our new friend Ben. Ben is over from NZ and has never had Lao food before so I convinced him to have Larb. It’s the national dish of Laos and I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it. It’s made with cooked minced meat (chicken, beef or pork) which is drizzled with lemon juice and fish sauce and then mixed with ground sticky rice, chopped mint, coriander and basil. You can order some sticky rice with this as well for a true Lao dish. Ben really enjoyed it so I was very pleased.

I ordered the Lao sausages (Sai Grog). This was divine. It’s just like the way my mum makes them! Steph ordered the Lard Na which is rice noodles with seafood and vegetables in a thick gravy sauce. It’s very similar to the Chinese dish Ho-fun. Other dishes to try here is the Pad Ped Moo Grob (Stir Fry Crispy Pork in a Chill Paste), Som Tum (Papaya Salad Thai Style) and the Yum Neau Nam Tog (Thai Beef Salad).

You can expect to pay around $9.90 to $15.90 for a main. For a casual dining experience that has value for money and authentic Thai and Lao food, don’t miss Thai Wi Rat!

Overall Rating 8/10

Thai Wi Rat
Shop 48, Duncan Street
Chinatown Mall
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006

07) 3257 0884

No comments:

Post a Comment